Montreal, 8 November 2018
As the end of the year is fast approaching, the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) wishes to remind you that the 2019 List of Prohibited Substances and Methods (List) comes into force on 1 January 2019.
As Signatories of the World Anti-Doping Code (Code), Anti-Doping Organizations are expected to take appropriate steps to distribute the 2019 List to their members and constituents and to ensure that athletes and entourage have been adequately informed of any changes to the List that may affect them.
As such, we wish to draw your attention to the Summary of Major Modifications and Explanatory Notes that was sent to you as part of our media release of 28 September. Several examples were added to existing classes this year, in particular:
- Example of endogenous anabolic androgenic steroids: epiandrosterone (3β-hydroxy-5α-androstan-17-one), available in some nutritional supplements.
- Examples of Hypoxia-inducible factor (HIF) activating agents: daprodustat (GSK1278863) and vadadustat (AKB-6548).
- Example of beta-2-agonist: tretoquinol (trimetoquinol), an ingredient commonly found in oral cold and flu medications, particularly in some countries in Asia.
- Examples of aromatase inhibitors: 2-androstenol (5α-androst-2-en-17-ol), 3-androstenol (5α-androst-3-en-17-ol) and 3-androstenone (5α-androst-3-en-17-one).
- Examples of S4.4: myostatin-neutralizing antibodies (e.g. domagrozumab, landogrozumab, stamulumab), myostatin-binding proteins (e.g. follistatin, myostatin propeptide), agents reducing or ablating myostatin expression, activin receptor IIB competitors such as e.g. decoy activin receptors (e.g. ACE-031), anti-activin receptor IIB antibodies (e.g. bimagrumab), and activin A-neutralizing antibodies.
- Additional analogues of methylhexaneamine: 5-methylhexan-2-amine (1,4-dimethylpentylamine) and 3-methylhexan-2-amine (1,2-dimethylpentylamine).
Should you have any questions or concerns regarding the above-mentioned modifications, please get in touch with your usual WADA contact.
We thank you for your cooperation and ongoing commitment to Clean Sport.
World Anti-Doping Agency